Friday, November 9, 2007

Small town life.........

Here I am living in a small town in rural South Dakota. How much of small town this is? So small, that you can actually see the Badlands from my back door.

Wanblee has a population of 700+ people and many of them I have known since my family moved here back in 1979 (when I was four years old). I attended Crazy Horse School from Kindergarten until I graduated in 1993 (I sound like an old fart). Did you know that this town was actually thriving back in the early to mid 1900s? Sounds very interesting huh. I remember hearing from many of the elders that Wanblee had many amenities like a grocery store, cafe, hotel, black smith shop, and a movie house. Now, this town is dead. Only thriving thing that Wanblee has a small grocery/gas station.

As I do my evening stroll aroudnt won, I can picture how the town was once was. Nice homes here and there with nicely fixed yards. Now, we have a cluster of homes called "Old Housing". These homes were built like in the 60s (due to housing shortages). Many of the homes are now in shambles. There are several of them that are abandoned and every now and then, the local teens will use the houses as their place to drink and carry on. Sad isn't it.

With the townsfolk, funny I should mentioned that like any other small towns, we do have quite a few characters. As an example, we have the people who wants to be prominent but they are doing it all wrong (in my opinion). Of course, like other small towns, GOSSIP is every one's past time favorite. People will be saying things like "Did you hear......." or "She told me....." I find that very funny. Where I work, Gossip is on everyone's mind. I think the Boss is getting tired of it.

Also, in this small town, when there is a function at the local school, be prepared to every one there. I think it is a place to meet up and socialize. OH yeah, and GOSSIP as well.

Nice to know that maybe someone will read this and reflect what their hometown will be like.

No comments: